The Waikato Bay of Plenty branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings when the Hamilton District Law Society was founded on 8 December 1911.
On 1 February 1989, substantial parts of the Bay of Plenty and Thames/Coromandel area were transferred from the Auckland District Law Society to the Hamilton District Law Society. The name Waikato Bay of Plenty District Law Society was adopted in 1993. This became the Waikato Bay of Plenty branch of the New Zealand Law Society on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President, the Vice-President and up to ten Council members. The President represents the branch on the New Zealand Law Society's Council.
The branch functions include:
The Waikato Bay of Plenty branch area includes the centres of Cambridge, Edgecumbe, Hamilton, Huntly, Katikati, Kawerau, Matamata, Morrinsville, Mount Maunganui, Murupara, Ngaruawahia, Opotiki, Otorohanga, Paeroa, Putaruru, Raglan, Rotorua, Taneatua, Taumarunui, Taupo, Tauranga, Te Aroha, Te Awamutu, Te Kauwhata, Te Kuiti, Te Puke, Tirau, Tokoroa, Turangi, Waihi and Whakatane.